There is more to a chord progression that just a sequence of chords. The video below offers some good tips for enhancing a basic chord progression such as:
- lining up common notes between chords for a smoother transition
- ensuring the common note between chords occurs in the same voicing (top, middle or bottom note)
- switching from a chord to an inversion of the same chord
- using sus chords to add extra interest (can also be used to force a common note between chords)
- using syncopation to have the chord change on the off beat
These are all good tips to add extra interest to your composition.