This page is a list of links to tips, tutorials for composing, orchestration, perhaps mixing etc. that I want to keep. It’s a dumping ground of links that I might turn into blog posts in the future but for now, I want to save them some place safe. (most recently added links will be at the top)
How To Write Epic String Staccatos in 5 Minutes (video)
– Alex Moukala goes through this very quickly but there are some good tips for creating interesting and dynamic ostinato patterns.
Taken ANY 4 Chords and Make Them Epic (video)
– “Steve B Music” starts with a very familiar 4 chord piano progression, adds a few orchestral elements and turns it into something far more epic and interesting.
How to Write Music for TV – Song Structure (video)
– Nick Murray shows his formula for music cues for TV
– he demonstrates ABA and ABC type formats
How to Write a Song in 5 Minutes on the Piano (video)
– some quick tips on taking a simple chord progression, making a short melody and altering the melody to expand the composition
The rule of 3 for melody (article)
– melody idea, repetition, variation as applied to a motif
The rule of 3 for orchestration (article)
– this is about organizing orchestration into no more than 3 layers, often just 2 layers with score and audio examples.
How I Make Epic Cinematic Music. Live Orchestral Composing Tutorial with Olexandr Ignatov (video)
– some live composing with commentary (lasts about an hour)